Cut & Cover Tunnels
Ground movements and their effects on adjacent structures are of paramount importance, especially in urban areas. Dr. Bedi has worked on numerous cut and cover structures in both intricate urban environments and large scale TBM launch box excavations.
We use numerical modelling and analysis as part of our design process. This results in improved toe lengths and reaction forces of the retaining structures as well as increased overall safety and a robust, cost-effective design.
We also provide design solutions for all temporary and permanent cut and cover structures, including strutting and waling that are cost effective and practical. Numerical analysis is at the core of this process, allowing for sensitivity studies, sequence alternatives and retaining, strutting and foundation alternatives using our experience from constructed projects to verify the adopted approach.
Please contact us to discuss your tunnelling project on +44 (0)7912 201891 or email us.
- Temporary retaining wall design using sheet, soldier or bored piles and diaphragm walls
- Temporary strutting and waling
- Permanent retaining wall design using cast in-situ concrete or diaphragm walls
- Control of ground movements
- Control of groundwater flow
As these structures are often the first to be constructed to allow tunnel breakouts, a robust design and assurance of the performance of the excavation and adjacent assets is of paramount importance. Dr Bedi has been instrumental in the design of numerous complex shafts adjacent to, and touching, live railway infrastructure.
Drawing on this experience, our engineers offer unique solutions by considering the interaction of the walls, piles, strutting, dewatering (where required) as well as the construction sequence necessary to obtain sound and economic engineering solutions.
That’s why we are known for our holistic and integrated design approach.
- Design of retaining structure using precast segments, bored piles, diaphragm, etc
- Design of shotcrete and soil anchor support
- Control of ground movements and flow